11 Ways To Put Your Love On Top
Every word in this love letter is gonna be about you.
It’s getting hot in here as the self-love meter is hitting record-setting temperatures during this season of thanksgiving.
Say the first name that comes to mind…
Who is the most important person to you?
Think about your answer. Would you like to change it?
I’m taking this season of thanks to unlearn some things that life has taught me. Life taught me to put others first. And I did for a mighty long time…as I set stewing and frustrated on the back burner. Thank goodness for the wisdom of my years and for some incredible people around me who understand the importance of me having an epic love affair with myself. I meant exactly what you read.
What Self-Love Means
Simply put, self-love is having regard for your own happiness or for your advantage in a situation. It is considered a desirable rather than a narcissistic trait.
Why Self-love Is So Damn Important
You know the saying, if you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything. Well, let this marinate for a moment…fall in love with yourself. If that seems unnatural or seems vain, please know that loving yourself is not vanity. In fact, self-love will keep you sain in this crazed world around you.
Choose today to accept that self-love is not selfish. It’s not a luxury. It is a basic human necessity. It is the acceptance of your strengths, weaknesses, and anything in between.
When someone treats you wrong or loves you wrong, recognize it and teach them how to love you right. Developing a good relationship with yourself (body, mind, and spirit) can lower anxiety and stress, and increase energy, confidence, and goodwill toward yourself.
Treating yourself with the love you so freely give away to others is a revolutionary act. Dare I say, self-love will heal you.
You can take this season to journey toward your inner healing.
Where Does Self-Love Start?
Here are 11 ways to begin showing your inner love in an outward way.
- Feed your focus by paying more attention to your basic needs and desires.
- On the journey to creating your next you, make your positive opinions a priority in your self-talk and banish self-criticism. Be kind to yourself while you think of your past, present, and future.
- Choose progress over perfection.
- Complete a goal. Set new goals.
- Speaking the truth is liberating. Advocate for yourself and trust yourself to know what’s best for you.
- Allow yourself to experience love, joy, pain, grief, sorrow, confidence, high worth, and excitement.
- Choose happiness more often, though.
- Show gratitude by noticing small things in the big world around you.
- Guard your newfound peace by setting boundaries (or outright evicting) time thieves and energy drainers.
- Promise yourself a good night’s sleep and commit your evening routine to that.
- Live intentionally. Release the bonds in your life so that you can live vibrantly and be well for a mighty long time.
Refueling yourself with positivity as you persistently pursue the path to self-love is another necessity. Replaying pure thoughts about yourself on repeat in your mind will keep you moving ahead. Making reaffirming declarations and speaking life over yourself are sources of fuel for the journey to enjoying an epic love affair with yourself.
What Are Self-Love Affirmations?
- I am mine before I am anyone else’s
- I accept myself as I am today
- I call myself out on traits that impair my growth because I love who I am and who I am becoming
- I will not grant permission for someone else to ruin my day
- I am the love that I didn’t receive
- I forgive myself
- I am wildly capable of doing amazing things
- I embrace the feminine urge to be divine
- I radiate confidence everywhere that I go.
Now repeat a few of my favorite self-love and empowerment quotes:
Women like you don’t happen often. Never forget how rare you are. – Anonymous
Nah. – Rosa Parks, 1955
And one day she discovered that she was fierce and strong, and full of fire and that not even she could hold herself back because her passion burned brighter than her fears. – Mark Anthony
Starting now you can shift your thoughts and emotions to feeling confident and secure about your success and accomplishments. Love your fabulous self.
Before the plates are passed, help yourself first this holiday season.
Here’s the first self-love book that comes to mind: Unleashing The Fabulous You
Choose you today by getting your copy of Unleashing The Fabulous You immediately.
Speaker, Author, Thought-Leader… and I really like this one, vibrant living culture creator; Golden Soror of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., and Michigan Women’s Commission Appointee. With more than forty years of expertise in business management and personal development, I also have the distinction of receiving the NAWBO Top Businesswoman Award and the Booker T. Washington Legacy Award.